To take a break from politics, I am going to let you, dear reader, in on a secret: my unhealthful guilty pleasure is trying new flavors of snacks. My favorite snack item in the United States is undoubtably crunchy Cheetos. However, I don’t necessarily purchase the same variety of snack on any regular basis; I love trying new flavors of old classics.
As I have a good number of friends from Chicago, several years ago I was made aware that Chicagoans have a unique snack culture around Cheetos. Specifically Cheetos Flamin’ Hot, which is commonly referred to as “hot chips.” (This nomenclature has always struck me as odd, as Cheetos are not chips. However, coming from a city that thinks of its deep dish creation as “pizza,” perhaps I should not be too surprised.)
When I returned to the United States in 2018, I noticed that many varieties of Flamin’ Hot products, other than just Cheetos, had been produced. From the very moment that I set eyes on them, I knew that I had a desire to try and rank them all.
Three most recent updates:
- UPDATE (August 22): Ranked four flavors, added a bunch of other varieties.
- UPDATE (October 28): Ranked three new flavors!
- UPDATE (March 4): Tidied things up a bit, added one more flavor to try, ranked an additional flavor.
This list only ranks products that (a) bear the official Flamin’ Hot name, (b) are available for purchase in the United States, and (c) I have tried.
- Ruffles Flamin’ Hot
- Fritos Flamin’ Hot
- Sun Chips Flamin’ Hot (from the Munchies Flamin’ Hot snack)
- Doritos Flamin’ Hot
- Cheetos Xxtra Flamin’ Hot
- Taco Bell Beefy Fritos Burrito
- Chester’s Flamin’ Hot Fries
- Chester’s Flamin’ Hot Popcorn
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot
- Lay’s Flamin’ Hot Dill Pickle Remix
- Cheetos Oven Baked Flamin’ Hot
- Munchies Flamin’ Hot (all together)
- Lay’s Stax Xxtra Flamin’ Hot
- Funyons Flamin’ Hot
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Puffs
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Bag of Bones
- Lay’s Flamin’ Hot
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Chiptole Ranch
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot with Lime
- Rold Gold Pretzels Flamin’ Hot (from the Munchies Flamin’ Hot snack)
The following are official Flamin’ Hot products that I have not yet tried and ranked:
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Asteroids
- Cheetos Xxtra Flamin’ Hot Asteroids
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Flavored Crackers with Cheese
- Sunflower Seeds Flamin’ Hot
- Wotsis Flamin’ Hot
- Munchos Flamin’ Hot
- Munchies Peanuts Flamin’ Hot
- Chester’s Flamin’ Hot Puffcorn
- Munchies Baked Snack Crackers Flamin’ Hot
- Matador Flamin’ Hot Snack Stick
- Cheetos Fantastix Flamin’ Hot
- Mac N’ Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Frozen Snacks
- Cheetos Giant Flamin’ Hot
- Rold Gold Thin Crisps Flamin’ Hot
- Cheetos Flamin’ Hot Top N Go Walking Taco
- Cheetos Mix-Ups Flamin’ Hot & Cheezy
- UPDATE (July 16): Chester’s Flamin’ Hot Popcorn has been ranked.
- UPDATE (July 17): Chester’s Flamin’ Hot fries has been ranked.
- UPDATE (July 18): Additional items have been added to the “to try” list.
- UPDATE (July 19): I found an additional item at a local Dollar Tree, so I bought and added it to the list.
- UPDATE (July 27): Flamin’ Hot Funyons have been ranked.
- UPDATE (July 31): Ranked three more flavors